Thursday, August 16, 2012

On A San Francisco High Tenth Anniversary!

Ten years ago I was busking for tips in San Francisco at Ghirardelli Square and Pier 39. Jerry's original song ON A SAN FRANCISCO HIGH was the title track to one of the CDs I sold to the tourists and locals who stopped to listen. The song took on a life of it's own and soon I was getting emails from people all over the world telling me where they first heard it and how much it meant to them! What a kick... the CD and the song won some independent music awards and was a top seller at CD Baby.
Busking on a cold day at Ghirardelli Square.
For a while now I've wanted to do a new (improved) version of the song that might appeal to even more people. I put it out there to my fans on Kickstarter and they came through with the support to re-record the tune in a first class studio with an All-Star cast of sidemen and a terrific engineer.


Top Studio Bassist Leland Sklar
This September we will be going into the legendary Village Recording Studio with Grammy winning recording engineer, Leslie Ann Jones, to track a new single of ON A SAN FRANCISCO HIGH.

We'll have a great band including long time James Taylor sideman and A-List studio musician, Leland Sklar, on the bass. Gregg Bissonette (Santana, Ray Charles, Steve Vai, etc) will be on drums. We'll be joined by one of our favorite pianists, Andy Langham and Jerry Holland will fill out the band on electric and acoustic guitar. When we walk out of the Village that day we'll have a smoking track ready for vocals.

One of the incentives for my Kickstarter contributors was a visit to the recording studio and that will likely happen during the mix session at Skywalker Studio in San Rafael. Leslie Ann Jones will be at the helm all the way through the project.


With recording Grammy winning engineer Leslie Ann Jones
Jerry and I recently got together with (pianist) Andy Langham in a smaller studio for some pre-production work. It was a way to test out our new arrangement ideas and we liked what we heard. We'll be good and ready for the real session. I can't wait.

When the mix is finished and ready for release we'll have a grand celebration at Yoshi's San Francisco on Sunday, November 18th. Start warming up those vocal cords because I'm going to invite the audience to join me on stage to sing along to the new single.


A giant THANK YOU to everyone who kicked in and for everyone who wished me well with this project. I feel like George Bailey, the luckiest man (woman!) in Bedford Falls!




1 comment:

  1. This is such an exciting project with one of the most beautiful songs ever written about my hometown, San Francisco. Can't wait for Yoshi's

    ReplyDelete