Monday, March 28, 2011

A Piano Trio: Theo Saunders, Shota Osabe & Ted Rosenthal

Today's post is part of a series about the talented musicians I've been fortunate to work with over the years.

THEO SAUNDERS: One of the perks of living in L.A. is the chance to check out the many incredible musicians who perform on the local jazz scene. Theo is among the very best of them. His playing is exuberant, sensitive, soulful and smart. I am thankful that he was willing to be the band-leader for my first bunch of gigs in Los Angeles.

His own fab sextet has just finished up a new CD titled 'Intergeneration'. The group consists of Theo Saunders: piano, Zane Musa: soprano sax, Chuck Manning: tenor sax, David Dahlsten: trombone, Jeff Livingston: bass and Tony Austin: drums. Theo pulled this stellar band together and turned them into a big fat sounding jazz machine with his inventive compositions and arrangements as the engine. Check out the CD and gig schedule at www.theosaunders.com

SHOTA OSABE: Shota traveled with me from San Francisco to Tokyo for a three month residency at the New York Bar. The spectacular venue, on the 56th floor of the Park Hyatt, is known for bringing in jazz musicians from all over the world. Shota was the first Japanese born player to be featured there. I am ever thankful for his help in getting around Tokyo and for all of the gigs we played together there and at home in San Francisco. Besides being a wonderful jazz pianist who has recorded with Ray Brown at Capitol Studios, Shota also plays pedal steel guitar in a country band!

TED ROSENTHAL: Unfortunately, I had only one chance to work with Ted (so far!) at the Blue Note in NYC. When I travel for a gig, sometimes I don't meet the band until sound check. In this case, Ted offered to host a rehearsal at his Manhattan apartment. Within the first few moments I could tell that he was a masterful pianist who understood the art of accompanying a vocalist. I wish I had more opportunities to work with Ted, but he keeps quite busy without me:-) Since winning the 1988 Thelonious Monk International Jazz Piano Competition, Ted has released twelve CDs as a leader. His latest, "Impromptu," features jazz re-imaginings of classical themes.

Thanks again, Theo, Shota & Ted.

1 comment:

  1. You deserve the best, Sony, and it is so nice that you have gotten it in your musicians. I have made a wonderful friend in Shota Osabe and was so thrilled to come to Tokyo to hear you at the Park Hyatt. Now, sadly, that you are no longer in San Francisco, I still get to hear Shota play from time to time and what fun it was to see his gig with the "Lost Weekend" group. That Western Swing band is terrific.

    ReplyDelete